Creamy White Bean Soup
Makes 6 cups
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added great northern beans, rinsed
- 1 (2 ounce) Parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Stir in beans, Parmesan rind (if using), broth, salt, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard Parmesan rind (if using) and bay leaf.
- Pour 2 cups of the soup into a blender. Secure the lid on the blender and remove the center piece to allow steam to escape. Place a clean towel over the opening. Process until smooth, about 1 minute. (Use caution when blending hot liquids. Alternatively, pour 2 cups of the soup into a medium bowl; process until smooth using an immersion blender.)
- Pour the pureed soup back into the remaining soup in the pot; stir to combine. Stir in lemon zest and lemon juice. Divide the soup among 4 bowls; sprinkle with Parmesan and garnish with parsley, if desired.
Nutrition per serving (1 cup) Calories:185, Fat 6g, Carbohydrates 28g, Fiber 9g, Protein 7g, Sodium 300mg
Recipe adapted from: Eating Well Magazine, Healthy Soup Recipes, Jasmine Smith.