Sweet Potato and White Bean Soup
Makes 5 cups
¼ cup water
2 pounds sweet potatoes cut lengthwise into quarters
2 teaspoons butter
1 cup chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
1 cup canned unsalted cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 cup diced apple
¼ cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- Place ¼ cup water and potatoes in a microwave-safe 8-inch square baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap; pierce plastic 3 or 4 times with a fork. Microwave at high 15 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Remove plastic wrap; cool.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, sage, and garlic; cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add stock; bring to a simmer.
- Remove potato skins; discard skins. Place potatoes, stock mixture, beans, milk, salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over the opening in lid; process until smooth. Return pureed soup to pan over medium heat; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Divide soup among 5 bowls; top each serving with ¼ cup apple and 1 tablespoon of yogurt. Sprinkle evenly with remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper.
Nutrition per ¾ cup: Calories 202; Fat 2g; Carbohydrate 39g; Protein 7g.
Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine: https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/sweet-potato-white-bean-soup
Spanakopita Scrambled Egg Pitas
Makes 4 servings
2 whole-wheat pitas (5-inch), cut in half, warmed if desired
½ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ (5 ounce) block frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
4 large eggs, beaten
1/8 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
Freshly ground pepper to taste
4 teaspoons sun-dried tomato tapenade or sun-dried tomato pesto
- Warm pita pockets: wrap pitas in foil. Bake in toaster oven at 350°F until hot, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add spinach and salt and cook until steaming hot, stirring occasionally. Add eggs and cook, stirring the eggs as they set, until they form soft curds and are just moist, 4 to 5 minutes. Add feta and pepper and cook until set.
- Spread tapenade inside pita pockets, 2 teaspoons per pita. Divide the egg mixture among the pitas.
Nutrition per serving (1/2 pita and ½ cup egg mixture): Calories 152; Fat 8 g; Carbohydrates 11 g: Protein 10 g.
Adapted from Eating Well Magazine. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/267878/spanakopita-scrambled-egg-pitas/.
Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.