The purpose of this study is to determine the mid and long-term safety and effectiveness of a new hip replacement device. This is a post marketed study looking at a specific type of hip replacement device using ceramic. The medical devices and procedures used in this study are not experimental or investigational. This ceramic on ceramic hip replacement system has been approved by the FDA through the PMA (Pre Market Approval) process. There are many common types of hip replacement systems that are available in the United States. Over time, there has been a drive to identify and create new hip replacement systems that will last longer and provide improved outcomes for the patients who receive them. Dr William Balcom, Chief of Orthopedics, is conducting this study.
- You may qualify for this study if you need a hip replacement
- You must have a clinical diagnosis of a form of non inflammatory degenerative joint disease such as osteoarthritis.
- You must be at least 21 years of age.
- You may not qualify if you have some forms of cancer or have previous prosthetic hip replacement in the operative joint.
- Certain illnesses and chronic disease will exclude you from participation
- Participation requires annual visits to the orthopedic surgeon for x-rays and follow up for the first 5 years. Years 6-10 require a questionnaire that can be done by mail or over the phone.
If interested, contact Peggy Preusse, RN at 508-595-2219 or Diane Gannon, RN at 508-595-2208.