These lifestyle changes can make a difference and lead to a healthier heart:
- Quit smoking as soon as possible
- Get a yearly flu shot
- Always track medications, dosage, and side effects
- Eat a balanced diet and limit your salt intake
- Ask your doctor about exercising and maintaining daily activity
- Avoid or limit alcohol consumption
- Talk to your doctor first before taking over-the-counter medicines
How to control your sodium intake:
- Read labels to check the sodium content of foods. Remember that many soups, frozen dinners and condiments are very high in sodium.
- Don’t add salt to food! It’s best to remove the saltshaker from your table.
- Flavor your food with spices, herbs and other seasonings instead of salt.
- Eat fresh and frozen vegetables instead of canned vegetables, which are very high in sodium.
- Avoid canned or processed meats which are high in sodium, eat fresh fish, poultry and meat instead.
- Snack on fresh vegetables instead of salty foods like crackers, pretzels, popcorn or chips.