Skinny Cauliflower Gratin
Makes approximately 4 servings
4 cups cauliflower, broken into small florets (about 1/2 large head)
1 1/2 cups skim milk, divided
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
3/4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp all-purpose whole wheat flour
1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp chopped fresh chives or 2 tsp of dried chives
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp white pepper
- Move rack to the top part of the oven; preheat broiler.
- Bring cauliflower, 1 1/4 cups milk and salt to a boil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cover and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup cheese and oil. Whisk flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in another small bowl until smooth and then slowly stir in the flour mixture into the pan that contains the cauliflower mixture, continuously stirring until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Sauté onions and garlic in cooking spray in a skillet over medium heat until onions just begin to caramelize. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cheese, chives, mustard and pepper and onion and garlic mixture. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Broil until the top is crispy and beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Nutrition per serving (1 cup): Calories 162; Fat 2g; Carbohydrates 23g; Protein 13g.
Recipe from Nutrition Twins: http://nutritiontwins.com/skinny-cauliflower-gratin/.
Zucchini Fritter Gyros
Makes 6 servings
3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 lb zucchini, coarsely grated
1 large egg
1/4 cup canned diced green chiles or
1 roasted poblano chile, diced
1 green onion, chopped (2 tbsp)
1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup roasted red pepper or jalapeño-cilantro hummus
3 whole-wheat pita breads, halved and warmed
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 cups chopped lettuce
- Stir together yogurt and lemon zest in small bowl. Set aside.
- Wrap grated zucchini in clean kitchen towel, and wring out excess moisture.
- Whisk egg in large bowl. Stir in zucchini, green chiles, green onion, and garlic. Sprinkle mixture with flour and baking powder, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in large skillet over medium heat. Drop 6 heaping tablespoonfuls zucchini mixture into skillet, and gently flatten. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate, and repeat with remaining zucchini mixture.
- Spread 2 tbsp hummus inside each pita half. Fill with 2 tomato slices, 2 zucchini cakes, red onion slices, and ⅓ cup chopped lettuce. Drizzle each gyro with 2 tbsp yogurt mixture
Nutrition per serving (1 gyro): Calories 280; Fat 10g; Carbohydrate 40g; Protein 10g.
Recipe from Vegetarian Times: https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/zucchini-fritter-gyros
Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.