Smoked Salmon Breakfast Toast
This breakfast can double as *hors-d’oeuvres for any holiday party!
Makes 4 servings
2 Tablespoons low-fat plain Greek Yogurt
Juice of ½ lemon
1 very ripe avocado
4 slices sprouted-grain bread (100 percent whole-grain)
8 ounces smoked salmon
2 fresh dill sprigs
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt and lemon juice.
- Cut open the avocado, remove the pit, and scoop out the flesh into the bowl with the yogurt. Mix well. The avocado mixture should be relatively smooth, with any large chunks.
- Toast the bread.
- Layer each toast slice with the avocado mixture and 2 ounces of the smoked salmon, then top each with fresh dill. Serve immediately.
*If using for as an hors-d’oeuvres for a party, cut each slice of toast into 4 pieces once assembled, then spread on a plate.
Nutrition per serving (1 toast): Calories 231; Fat 10g; Carbohydrate 19g; Protein 18g.
Adapted from Fresh Start Bariatric Cookbook by Sarah Kent MS, RDN, CD. Published January 2017.
Creamy Pumpkin Mousse
Makes 10 servings
2 (8-ounce) packages Neufchatel cream cheese, at room temperature
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
2 cups low-fat milk
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons liquid stevia
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to blend cream cheese and pumpkin puree until smooth and well combined.
- Add the milk, pumpkin pie spice, stevia, and vanilla and continue to blend for 5 minutes more or until the mixture is light and airy.
- Place about 2/3 cup of mousse in each serving glass and sprinkle the top with the cinnamon. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition per serving (2/3 cup): Calories 151; Fat 10 g; Carbohydrates 7 g: Protein 6 g.
Recipe from Fresh Start Bariatric Cookbook by Sarah Kent MS, RDN, CD. Published January 2017.