Summer veggie recipes to keep you cool!
Creamy Cucumber Gazpacho
(>6months out from surgery)
Makes 5 servings
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
½ cup full-fat canned coconut milk, stirred
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium avocado, peeled and cored
2 medium English cucumbers (skins on), chopped into 3-inch chunks
½ medium red onion, peeled and chopped into 3-inch chunks
½ medium jalapeno, stemmed and seeded
1 garlic clove, peeled
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
¼ fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley leaves
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade (shredded or finely cut)
10 large cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails on)
- Pour lime juice, coconut milk and oil into a blender.
- Add avocado, cucumbers, onion, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro and parsley. Blend until smooth, stopping to stir and scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Add salt, pepper and sugar and blend until very smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill at least 1 hour.
- To serve, pour soup into small bowls and top each with a pinch of fresh basil and 2 cocktail shrimp.
Nutrition per serving (1 cup): Calories 282; Fat 18g; Carbohydrates 14g: Protein 19g.
Recipe from: Food & Nutrition Magazine. July/August 2019. Cucumbers: Cool, Crisp and Refreshing. Cording, Jessica MS, RD, CDN.
Skyr-Swirled Beet Dip
Makes 4 servings
1 cup cooked, peeled, chopped red beets (about 1 pound raw, trimmed beets)
1 cup siggi’s 0% skyr (or plain Greek yogurt), divided
½ cup tahini
½ cup cooked garbanzo beans
1 clove garlic, chopped
½ teaspoon kosher salt to taste
2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Chopped toasted walnuts or pistachios
Chopped cilantro leaves or thinly sliced green onion
- In a food processor, combine beets, ½ cup skyr, tahini, garbanzo beans, garlic, salt and lemon juice. Whirl until smooth. Taste and adjust salt and lemon juice as needed.
- To serve, spoon dip into bowl. Top with remaining ½ cup skyr and swirl into beet dip.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and cilantro. Serve with pita chips or raw vegetable slices.
Nutrition per serving(1/2 cup): Calories 297; Fat 17g; Carbohydrate 26g; Protein 15g.
Recipe from: Food &Nutrition Magazine. July/August 2019.Food & Nutrition Test Kitchen Challenge. Lorelle Del Matto.