The abundance of vegetables in the summer is a wonderful reminder to prioritize vegetables in our meals. Here are a couple of recipes that do just that.
Makes 8 servings
4 medium zucchini
1 pound ground turkey breast
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 egg, beaten
½ pound sliced mushrooms
1 large tomato diced
3/4 cup spaghetti sauce
1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each with a sharp knife to allow zucchini to sit flat.
- Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-inch shells. Set pulp aside.
- Place shells in an ungreased 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook ground turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl mix together zucchini pulp, beaten egg, spaghetti sauce, bread crumbs, mushrooms, tomato, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup cheese, and cooked ground turkey.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup mixture into each shell.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350º F or until brown.
Nutrition per serving (1 zucchini boat or 1/8 recipe): Calories 195; Fat 7.5g; Carbohydrates 16g: Protein 18g.
Brazilian Black Bean Stew
Makes 12 servings
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
2 medium sweet potatoes (1 to 1 ¼ pounds), peeled and diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 small hot green chili pepper, or more to taste, minced
2-16 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 ripe mango, pitted, peeled and diced
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook, stirring, until onion is golden, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, bell pepper, tomatoes (with liquid), chili pepper and 1 ½ cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender but still firm, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans and simmer gently, uncovered, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in mango and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in cilantro and salt. Serve hot.
Tip: Steam some Swiss chard while the stew is simmering and serve with warmed flour tortillas.
Nutrition per serving (1/2 small bowl): Calories 163; Fat 2g; Carbohydrate 31g; Protein 8g.
Recipe from: Vegetarian Times. https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/brazilian-black-bean-stew.