Roasted Salmon with Spicy Cranberry Relish
Makes 8 servings
2 ½ pounds skin-on salmon fillet
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns, cracked
1 lemon, zested and cut into wedges
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen (8 ounces)
1 small shallot, minced
1 serrano pepper, seeded
1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Place salmon on the prepared pan. Mash garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, peppercorns and lemon zest into a paste with a fork or a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon oil and mustard. Spread on the salmon. Bake until the flesh flakes easily with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pulse cranberries, shallot and Serrano in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in apple, celery, vinegar, 1 tablespoon parsley and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Sprinkle the salmon with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and serve with the relish and lemon wedges.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 229; Fat 8.8g; Carbohydrates 7.6g: Protein 28.6g.
Tip: To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Recipe from: Eating Well Magazine. December 2019. Also available on www.eatingwell.com.
Asian Chicken Meatballs
Makes 5 servings
1 tablespoon peanut or grapeseed oil
1 pound ground chicken breast
4 scallions (3 minced + 1 thinly sliced)
½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon + 1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon + 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
½ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
½ teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 475 F. Coat a large lined rimmed baking pan with the oil.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg. Mix in the chicken, minced scallions, bell pepper, garlic, 1 tablespoon ginger, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and bread crumbs. Form the mixture into about 20 small meatballs of about 2 tablespoons each and place them on the pan.
- Roast the meatballs on the top oven rack until cooked through, 10-12 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the sliced scallion with the remaining 1 tablespoon ginger and 2 tablespoon soy sauce and the sesame oil, vinegar and sugar.
- Divide the meatballs into four bowls. Top with the sesame seeds. Serve with the sauce.
Nutrition per serving (4 meatballs): Calories 268; Fat 16g; Carbohydrate 12g; Protein 19g.
Recipe adapted from: Nutrition Action Newsletter. October 2019.