Egg Roll in a Bowl
Makes 6 servings
2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 onion, finely diced
1 pound extra-lean ground chicken or turkey
1 ½ tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or Bragg Liquid Aminos
½ cup low-sodium beef broth
2 teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cups green cabbage, chopped or shredded into 1-inch ribbons
1 ½ cups shredded carrots
1 cup fresh beans or 1 (14-ounce) can, drained and rinsed
2 scallions, finely chopped, for garnish
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and the garlic. Stir for 1 minute. Add the onion and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- While the meat is browning, mix together the remaining 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil, soy sauce, broth, ginger, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- When the chicken is cooked, stir the sauce into the skillet. Add the cabbage, carrots, and bean sprouts. Stir to combine. Cover the skillet until the cabbage is tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with the scallions and additional soy sauce to taste.
Nutrition per serving (3/4 cup): Calories 133; Fat 3g; Carbohydrates 7g: Protein 19g.
Tip: Cut preparations time in half by purchasing a prepackaged bag of coleslaw mix to use in place of chopping your own cabbage and carrots.
Recipe from: The Gastric Sleeve Bariatric Cookbook: Easy Meal Plans and Recipes to Eat Well & Keep the Weight Off. Sarah Kent MS, RDN, CSOWM, CD.
Hummus-Zucchini English Muffin
2 tablespoons hummus
1 toasted whole-grain English muffin, split
2 tablespoons shaved carrot
2 tablespoons shave zucchini
2 teaspoons roasted salted sunflowers seeds
- Spread hummus on cut sides of English muffin halves; top with carrot, zucchini, and sunflower seeds.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 229; Fat 9g; Carbohydrate 30g; Protein 8g.
Recipe from: www.cookinglight.com written by Sidney Fry, MS, RD. January 2017.