Chile-Lime Cauliflower Quesadillas
Makes 8 servings
3 tablespoons corn oil, divided
1 tablespoon chili-lime seasoning or rub, such as Tajin (see Tip)
2 cups chopped cauliflower
1 cup chopped poblano peppers or sweet bell pepper for less heat.
8 6-inch corn or whole-wheat tortillas, warmed
½ cup reduced-sodium refried black beans
¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Salsa for serving
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon oil and seasoning in a medium bowl. Add cauliflower and poblanos; toss to coat. Spread evenly on the prepared pan. Broil on the upper rack until just tender, about 8 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 200
- Top half of each tortilla with 1 tablespoon each beans and cheese and ¼ cup of the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Fold the tortillas in half.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 quesadillas and cook, flipping once halfway, until browned, 2 to 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 4 quesadillas.
- Serve the quesadillas with salsa, if desired.
Nutrition per serving (1 quesadilla): Calories 168; Fat 10g; Carbohydrates 16g: Protein 6g; Sodium 400mg.
Tip: Tajin is a chile-lime seasoning that originated in Mexico. It can be used to add spice and tang to the quesadilla filling in this recipe.
Recipe adapted from: Eating Well Magazine, March 2020. Can also be found on the following website: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/278543/chile-lime-cauliflower-quesadillas/.
Chicken Mole Tacos with Mango-Jicama Slaw
Makes 8 servings
2 tablespoons corn oil, divided
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
½ medium white onion, sliced
1 cup prepared mole sauce (see Tip)
1 tablespoons lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
2 teaspoons honey
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup jicama matchsticks
1 cup mango matchsticks
¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
8 corn tortillas, warmed
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Add white onion and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in mole sauce. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, turning the chicken occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 165, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, lime juice, honey, pepper, and salt in a medium bowl. Add jicama, mango, red onion, and cilantro; toss to combine.
- Shred the chicken and stir into the sauce. Serve the chicken mixture in tortillas with slaw and lime wedges, if desired.
Nutrition per serving (1 taco): Calories 186; Fat 7g; Carbohydrate 21g; Protein 14g; Sodium 345mg.
Tip: MAS Sauce is a premade mole sauce to keep this dish fast to make. If your grocery store only carries mole paste, whisk ¼ cup into ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth.
Recipe adapted from: Eating Well Magazine, March 2020. Can also be found on the following website: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/278548/chicken-mole-tacos-with-mango-jicama-slaw/