1 tablespoon + 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 ½ pounds bone-in, skinless, chicken thighs or breasts
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon coriander
3 carrots, chopped
½ pound small zucchini, chopped
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until shimmering. Sauté the chicken until browned, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pot.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Sauté the onion until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Stir
The garlic, ginger, tomato paste, and spices. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the carrots, zucchini, stock, and lemon zest. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low. Return the chicken with any juices to the pot. Cover and gently braise until the chicken is fully cooked, 20-30 minutes.
- Season with the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Tip: To keep thinks interesting, try this classic Moroccan chicken dish with curry powder or ras el hanout instead of paprika and coriander.
Nutrition per serving (1 cup): Calories 170; Fat 9g; Carbohydrates 7g: Protein 18g; Sodium 230mg.
Recipe adapted from: The Healthy Cook by Chef Kate. Nutrition Action Health Letter. January/February 2021.
Warm Spinach Salad with Chickpeas and Roasted Tomatoes
Makes 6 servings
½ medium sweet onion, sliced ¼ inch thick
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
¼ teaspoon salt, divided
½ -pint cherry or grape tomatoes
1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
¾ teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoons sherry vinegar
½ tablespoon tahini
¼ teaspoon maple syrup
4 cups lightly packed spinach (4 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Toss onion with 1/2 tablespoon oil and ¼ teaspoon salt on a large rimmed baking sheet. Spread into an even layer. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Push the onion to one side of the pan. Add tomatoes to the empty side and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt. Roll the tomatoes around on the pan to oil them up a bit. Roast until the onion is blackened in spots and the tomatoes have collapsed and released some of their juices, 25 to 30 minutes more.
- Add chickpeas, oregano and pepper to the pan and drizzle with ½ tablespoon oil. Toss to combine the vegetables, scraping up the browned bits. Return to the oven and roast until the oregano is fragrant and the chickpeas are heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar, tahini, maple syrup and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add spinach and toss to coat. To the spinach with the roasted vegetables and chickpeas. Serve warm.
Nutrition per serving (1 cup): Calories 211; Fat 10g; Carbohydrate 25g; Protein 8g; Sodium 199mg.
Recipe adapted from: Beans and Greens by Liana Krissoff. Eating Well Magazine. January/February 2021