Salad with Chicken and Crispy Farro
½ cup cooked farro, patted dry
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
½ pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ tablespoon of honey
1 ½ cups baby arugula
1 ½ cups shredded cooked chicken, such as rotisserie
¼ cup thinly sliced radishes
- Preheat broiler with rack 5 inches from heat. Toss farro, 1/2 tablespoon oil, and a pinch of the salt on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Broil, stirring halfway through, until farro has a crispy-chewy texture, about 5 minutes. Transfer farro to a large, towel-lined plate. Let cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Toss asparagus, 1 tablespoon oil, and another pinch of the salt and ½ of the pepper on the same baking sheet. Broil until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces.
- Whisk lemon juice, honey, and remaining 1 ½ tablespoons oil in a large bowl until combined. Add arugula, chicken, radishes, asparagus, and remaining salt and pepper; toss gently to coat. Serve salad topped with crispy farro.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 220; Fat 13g; Carbohydrates 12g: Protein 18g; Sodium 300 mg.
Recipe adapted from: Real Simple Magazine April 2021. Article: Food. Recipes by Jasmine Smith.
Roasted Vegetables over White Bean Puree
Makes 8 servings
1 head cauliflower, cut into wedges
3 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon extra-virgin oil
2 bell peppers (any color), sliced
1-pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 clove garlic, minced
1 15-ounce cans no-salt added cannellini beans, undrained
¼ teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
¼ cup shredded or grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 450℉. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the cauliflower with 3 tablespoons oil. On another rimmed baking sheet, toss the bell peppers and tomatoes with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Roast the cauliflower on the lowest rack until the bottoms are browned, and the peppers and tomatoes on the top rack until lightly charred, 15-20 minutes for both.
- In a small pot over medium heat, bring the garlic and beans with their liquid to a simmer for 5 minutes. Puree with a hand blender. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Top the puree with the cauliflower, tomatoes, and peppers. Season with black pepper and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Sprinkle with the parmesan.
Nutrition per serving (1 1/2 cups): Calories 185; Fat 19g; Carbohydrate 21g; Protein 18g; Sodium 220mg.
Recipe from: Recipes from NutritionAction Health Letter. March 2021. The Healthy Cook, Kate Sherwood.