Chicken with Yogurt Sauce
½ cup plain Greek yogurt (0% or 2%)
¼ cup minced cucumber
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill or mint
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, grated
2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon + 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander or cumin
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon brown sugar
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1-pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 red onion, cut into wedges
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Make the Yogurt Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, cucumber, dill, lemon juice, and garlic with 2 Tbs. oil and ¼ tsp. salt.
- In another small bowl, mix together the paprika, coriander, oregano, sugar, and pepper with the remaining ¼ tsp. salt. Pound the chicken to ¼-inch thickness and season with the spice mixture
- In a nonstick pan over medium heat, heat 1 Tbs. oil until shimmering. Sauté the onion until lightly browned, 3–4 minutes. Remove from the pan.
- Sauté the chicken in the remaining 1 Tbs. oil until cooked through, 3–5 minutes.
- Slice the chicken and serve with the onion, tomatoes, and Yogurt Sauce.
Nutrition per serving (3 oz. chicken + 1 cup vegetables + ¼ cup sauce): Calories: 290; Fat 16g; Carbohydrates 8g: Protein 29g; Sodium 300 mg.
Post-op modification (1.5 ounces chicken + ½ cup vegetables +2 tablespoons sauce): Estimated Calories: 145; Fat 8g; Carbohydrates 4g: Protein 15g; Sodium 150mg.
Recipe adapted from: NutritionAction Health Letter. July/August 2021. The Healthy Cook. Chef Kate Sherwood.
Lentils with Blistered Tomatoes and Kale
2 teaspoons olive oil
½ pound tomatoes, cherry or grape; halved
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons shallot or onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 cups green or brown lentils, cooked OR 1 (15 oz) can lentils, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon coriander
½ teaspoon cumin
2 cups baby kale or chopped kale, packed
Feta or goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
- For the tomatoes: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add tomatoes and a pinch of salt and cook for about 5 minutes. They should be tender and blistered, but not losing their shape. Carefully remove from pan and set aside.
- For lentils: Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic, stirring often, until tender and golden, about 3 minutes. Add the cooked lentils, balsamic vinegar, salt, and spices and stir to warm. If dry, add a splash of water. Once the lentil mixture is warm, add the kale a handful at a time and stir until wilted.
- Divide the lentils among 4 bowls. Surround with tomatoes. Top with crumbled feta or goat cheese, if desired.
Nutrition per serving (without optional cheese) Calories 230; Fat 10g; Carbohydrates 28g: Protein 11g; Sodium 215mg.
Recipe adapted from: Tufts Nutrition Letter. August 2021. Featured Recipe form USAPulses.org.