Middle Eastern Chicken &Chickpea Stew
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
¾ teaspoon salt, divided
¼ cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground pepper
1-pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 14-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Mash garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt on a cutting board with the back of a fork until a paste forms. Transfer to a medium bowl and whisk in lemon juice, cumin, paprika and pepper. Add chicken and stir to coat.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to the pan (reserve the marinade) and cook, stirring occasionally, until opaque on the outside, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juice, chickpeas, the reserved marinade and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Nutrition per serving (3/4 cup): Calories: 135; Fat 4g; Carbohydrates 11g: Protein 14g; Sodium 307 mg.
Recipe adapted from: EatingWell Magazine, November/December 2015. Healthy Stew Recipes. https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252878/middle-eastern-chicken-chickpea-stew/.
Massaged Kale Salad with Roasted Sweet Potato & Black Beans
Serves 4 (20 modified post-op servings)
1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
½ teaspoon salt, divided
6 medium shallots, peeled and quartered
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 large clove garlic, grated
1-pound kale, stemmed and torn
1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed
1 cup cooked quinoa
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
½ cup unsalted pepitas, toasted
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Toss sweet potato with 1 tablespoon oil, chile powder and 1/8 teaspoon salt on a large rimmed baking sheet. Toss shallots with 1 tablespoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt on another large rimmed baking sheet. Roast the vegetables, flipping once, until tender and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice and garlic with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add kale and massage with the dressing until bright green and shiny and the volume is reduced by about half. Add beans, quinoa, feta, pepitas and the shallots. Toss to combine and serve topped with the sweet potato.
Nutrition per serving (2½ cups) Calories 588; Fat 30g; Carbohydrates 64g: Protein 21g; Sodium 691 mg.
Modified post-op Nutrition per serving (½ cup) Calories 120; Fat 6g; Carbohydrates 13g: Protein 5g; Sodium 140 mg.
Recipe adapted from: EatingWell Magazine, September 2021. Healthy Kale Salad Recipes. Hilary Meyer. https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/7913360/massaged-kale-salad-with-roasted-sweet-potato-black-beans/.