High Protein Butternut Squash Soup
½ lb. butternut squash
1 teaspoon olive oil
½ onion, diced
32 oz. almond milk soup base (bought at Walmart)
1 teaspoon ginger, minced
1 teaspoon garlic
Salt and pepper for taste
2 scoops unflavored protein powder
Paprika for garnish (optional)
- Sauté onion in olive oil in saucepan over medium heat until onion is translucent. Then add ginger and garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Once soft add squash, broth, almond milk and seasonings. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 15 minutes or until squash is soft.Once soft add squash, broth, almond milk and seasonings. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 15 minutes or until squash is soft.
- Blend with immersion blender or purée in regular blender. Once temperature below 140 add protein powder,
- If in puréed stage, freeze in ice cube trays.
Nutrition per serving (1 cup): Calories 195; Fat 2.6g; Carbohydrates 19g: Protein 27g; Sodium 25 mg.
Recipe from: Bariatric Meal Prep. Kristen Willard, RDN https://bariatricmealprep.com/high-protein-butternut-squash-soup/.
Savory Mini Apple Turkey Burgers
For carmelized onion
1/2 tsp extra virgin olive
1/2 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 apple (divided)
1/2 lb. lean ground turkey meat
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon sage
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Dash black pepper
1 oz. Brie (optional)
4 lettuce leaves
- Preheat grill.
- Heat olive oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Once heated, add onion and sauté for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and sweet.
- While onion is cooking, shred apple with a peeler or cheese grater so you have fine, thin slices of apple.
- Mix together burger ingredients: turkey meat, Dijon, sage, thyme, salt, pepper and 1/2 of the apple. Save the rest of the apple for toppings. Form meat into patties (about 4, 1.5 oz each)
- Grill burgers on the grill for about 5-8 minutes each side or until internal temperature is 165 F. Remove burgers from grill.
- Place burgers on top of lettuce. Then top burgers with remaining apple, onions and Brie. Wrap lettuce around burger like a bun. Yum.
Make Ahead Tip: If you are meal prepping them ahead of time then pack the lettuce in a baggie on the side. These also freeze well.
Nutrition per serving (1-1.5 oz. patty) Calories: 140; Fat 7g; Carbohydrates 8g: Protein 12g; Sodium 702 mg
Recipe from: Bariatric Meal Prep. Kristen Willard, RDN https://bariatricmealprep.com/savory-mini-apple-turkey-burgers/.