Farro and Peanut Stuffed Pumpkins
8 mini pumpkins, or 4 small winter squash, such as acorn squash, halved
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 ½ cups farro, uncooked
¾ cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
½ cup fresh mint or parsley, chopped, or both (1/4 cup of each)
Zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon
½ cup dried cranberries
Salt and pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 400and bring pot of water to a boil on the stove.
- Cut tops off pumpkins or halve squash and scoop out seeds. Drizzle pumpkin or squash with olive oil, and a few shakes of salt and pepper, if using.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until pumpkins soften.
- In the meantime, cook the farro according to package instructions.
- Once done, transfer to a bowl, add remaining ingredients, and mix well.
- Fill each pumpkin with about ½ cup farro mixture.
Nutrition per serving (1 mini pumpkin or ½ winter squash): Calories: 230; Fat 10g; Carbohydrates 27g: Protein 8g; Sodium 5mg.
Recipe from: Health and Nutrition Letter. Tufts University. November 2021; volume 39 no. 9.
Chocolate Chia Pudding
2 cups unsweetened soy milk
10 drops liquid stevia
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup chia seeds
½ cup fresh raspberries, for garnish
- In a small bowl, which together the soy milk, stevia, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and vanilla until well combined.
- Stir in the chia seeds.
- Divide between 4 small serving dishes.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, garnish with the raspberries.
Nutrition per serving (1/2 cup): Calories 182; Fat 9g; Carbohydrates 14g: Protein 11g; Sodium 36 mg.
Recipe from: The Gastric Sleeve Cookbook: Easy Meal Plans and Recipes to Eat Well and Keep the Weight Off. Sarah Kent MS, RDN, CD.