Tofu, Cauliflower & Sweet Potato Green Curry
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons green curry paste
1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
1 tablespoon fish sauce
3 cups cauliflower florets
1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 scallions, sliced, whites and greens divided
1 tablespoon lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a large flat-bottom wok or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Pat tofu dry and add to the pan. Cook in a single layer, until browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Gently stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- Add curry paste to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk and fish sauce and bring to a simmer. Add cauliflower, sweet potato and scallion whites. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, 12 to 14 minutes. Stir in the tofu and lime juice.
- Garnish with scallion greens and cilantro and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Nutrition per serving (1 ¾ cups): Calories: 284; Fat 18g; Carbohydrates 18g: Protein 14g; Sodium 795mg.
Nutrition per 1 cup portion: Calories: 160; Fat 10g; Carbohydrates 10g: Protein 6g; Sodium 450mg.
Recipe from: Eating Well Magazine. Weeknight Mains. Recipe by Breanna Killeen. January/February 2022.
Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
½ cup sliced scallions, plus more for garnish
¼ cup sliced shallot
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
2 pounds ground chicken or turkey
¾ cup unsalted cashews or peanuts, toasted
½ cup thinly sliced celery
½ cup no-salt-added chicken broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons chile-garlic sauce
2 tablespoons 50%-less-sodium tamari
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
16 leaves Boston or Bibb lettuce
Toasted sesame seeds & thinly sliced bird’s eye chiles for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large flat-bottom wok or cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat until shimmering. Add scallions, shallot and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 4 minutes. Increase heat to high and add the remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil and chicken (or turkey). Cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Add nuts and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the celery is soft, about 3 minutes more.
- Whisk broth and cornstarch in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in lime juice, brown sugar, chile-garlic sauce, tamari and sesame oil. Add to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Serve about 1/3 cup filling in each lettuce leaf. Garnish with scallions, sesame seeds and/or chiles and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Tip: Refrigerate filling (Steps 1-2) airtight for up to 2 days.
Nutrition per serving (2 lettuce wraps): Calories 319; Fat 20g; Carbohydrates 12g: Protein 23g; Sodium 281 mg.
Nutrition per lettuce wrap: Calories 160; Fat 10g; Carbohydrates 6g: Protein 12g; Sodium 141 mg.
Recipe from: Eating Well Magazine. Weeknight Mains. Recipe by Laura Kanya. January/February 2022.