Thai-Inspired Red Lentil Bowls
Makes 8 servings
1 head Romanesco broccoli, cut into florets
1 cup black or forbidden rice
1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed and drained
2 to 3 Tbs. tom yum hot-and-sour soup paste
2 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup roasted chopped cashews or peanuts, optional
Basil or cilantro leaves for garnish, optional
8 green onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup light coconut milk
- To make Bowls: Cook Romanesco broccoli florets in 8 cups boiling salted water 4 minutes. Drain, and reserve cooking liquid.
- Bring black rice and 2 cups reserved cooking liquid to a boil in medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 18 to 25 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.
- Bring lentils, tom yum paste, and 3 more cups reserved broccoli cooking liquid to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 10 to 15 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Stir in spinach.
- To make Sauce: Stir together ingredients in small bowl.
- Spoon ¼ cup rice and ¼ cup lentils into each bowl. Top with ½ cup Romanesco broccoli. Sprinkle with ½ Tbsp cashews (if using), garnish with cilantro (if using), and drizzle with 1 Tbsp sauce.
Make ahead tip: Store cooked broccoli florets, rice, and lentils separately in fridge up to five days. Stir together coconut-milk sauce just before serving.
Nutrition serving (1 bowl): Calories: 235, Fat 2g, Carbohydrates 42g, Fiber 6g, Protein 26g, Sodium 500 mg.
Recipe adapted from: VegetarianTimes.com