Despite the chilly air, winter is a great time for exercising outdoors. In Central Massachusetts, we have are lucky to be surrounded by beautiful scenery and have access to plenty of outside activities. Don’t let the cold weather keep you from enjoying what New England has to offer!
Maintaining an exercise regime year-round is an important component of staying healthy, but you need to be aware of the unique challenges weather can pose to your body.
Here are a few tips to keep you healthy as you enjoy winter activities:
- Dress in layers. This will allow you to stay warm as you begin, and remove layers as your body warms up.
- Keep your feet dry by wearing wool or synthetic socks that can wick away moisture. Waterproof boots or shoes are also a good idea.
- Wear hats and scarves. You lose most of your body heat from your head and neck, so keep warm up top.
- Don’t forget to stretch! Warming up and cooling down before and after workouts will help avoid injury.
- Stay hydrated. Dry air can speed up dehydration, so be sure to drink lots of fluids.
- Wear sunscreen and sunglasses. Remember, the sun can be just as dangerous in the winter, especially if there’s snow on the ground to provide a glare.
- Pay attention to your body. If you feel pain or dizziness, stop immediately.
If you follow these simple guidelines, your exercise regimen can transcend the seasons. Don’t let the winter stop you from exercising!
Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.