A couple of crockpot recipes to ease the transition into fall.
Chicken & Sweet Potato Stew
Here’s a dinnertime warmer with a hint of spring’s sweetness, designed for that day when you’d rather be outside raking the leaves from the garden, getting it ready for what’s ahead, than slaving over the stove.
6 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed, trimmed of fat
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into spears
1/2 pound white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
6 large shallots, peeled and halved
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 cup dry white wine
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar (you can use chicken broth instead)
- Place chicken, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, wine, rosemary, salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker; stir to combine. Put the lid on and cook on low until the potatoes are tender, about 5 hours. Before serving, remove bones from the chicken, if desired, and stir in vinegar.
Nutrition information per serving (one chicken thigh) : 285 Calories; 6 g Fat; 35 g Carbohydrates; 17 g Protein; 519 mg Sodium.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Recipe from EatingWell: February/March 2006:
Three-Bean Vegetarian Chili
This soup has a mild chile flavor. If you want more heat, increase the amount of chili powder and don’t seed the jalapeños.
1 3/4 cups organic vegetable broth
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeno pepper (2 peppers)
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine first 12 ingredients in a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Ladle soup into bowls; top with sour cream, cheese, and cilantro.
Nutritional Information per serving (serving size: 1 cup soup, 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon cheese, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro): 197 Calories; 3.8 g Fat; 11.2 g Protein; 28.9 g Carbohydrate; 591 mg Sodium.
Recipe from Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight: September 2012: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/bean-vegetarian-chili