Fig and Sesame Bliss Bites
Makes 14 servings
Sweet and chewy, these tasty bites are a satisfying on-the-go snack that could double as dessert. A sweet and satisfying protein snack.
¼ cup sesame seeds
½ cup dried Mission figs, chopped into ¼-inch pieces
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup smooth almond butter
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons honey
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- Line the bottom of a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a 6-inch skillet, toast sesame seeds over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally with a spatula until lightly browned. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine sesame seeds, figs, oats, almond butter, tahini, honey, cinnamon and dry milk. Using a large spoon, stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Measure a tablespoon-sized portion and roll it between hands to make a 1½-inch ball. Place ball on parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture to create 14 balls.
- Place baking sheet in the freezer for 2 hours until balls are frozen, then store in a freezer-safe container.
- Enjoy frozen or at room temperature.
Nutrition per serving (1 bite): Calories: 147, Fat: 9g, Sat: 1g, Carbohydrates: 15 g, Protein: 4 g.
Recipe from Food and Nutrition Magazine: May/June 2016: http://www.foodandnutrition.org/May-June-2016/Fig-and-Sesame-Bliss-Bites/.
Lemon Avocado Hummus
A fun twist on hummus that is easy to make with some hearth healthy fat and a little zest.
1(15 ounce) can no-salt-added garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 avocado, peeled and seed removed
¼ cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup fresh parsley leaves, washed and patted dry
½ cup chopped scallions
1 teaspoon salt
- In a food processor, combine garbanzo beans, avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, scallions and salt. Pulse until a smooth hummus mixture forms. Add additional olive oil if necessary to loosen the mixture.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 100, Fat: 6g, Sat: 1g, Carbohydrates: 11 g, Protein: 3 g.
Recipe from Delight Gluten-free Magazine: http://delightglutenfree.com/lemon-avocado-hummus.