Chef Dave’s Easy Savory Chili
Makes 6 servings (1 cup each)
Easy, tasty and packed with protein!
1/2 pound lean ground beef
½ pound lean ground turkey
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
½ cup chopped onion
One 14-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
Once 14-ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes, drained
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup canned black beans, drained
- Place ground beef and turkey in a medium pot and cook for 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Drain fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Continue simmering for 20 minutes.
Nutrition per serving (1 cup): Calories: 210, Fat: 8 g, Carbohydrates: 16 g, Protein: 18 g.
Tangy Mustard Baked Chicken
Makes 2 servings
Panko bread crumbs are also referred to as Japanese bread crumbs. The crumbs are light yet bigger than traditional bread crumbs, which makes the cooked food crispier. You can find them in most supermarkets next to regular bread crumbs.
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon spicy ground mustard
8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
A dash of white pepper
1/8 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon lemon zest
½ cup panko bread crumbs
2 teaspoons melted butter
- In a small bowl combine the lime juice, lemon juice, and mustard. Brush over the chicken; cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a cooking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade mixture and roll in the bread crumbs, coating both sides. In a small dish combine the pepper, curry powder, and lemon zest, and then sprinkle the mixture over both sides of the chicken.
- Place chicken on the cooking sheet and drizzle melted butter over the top. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until juices run clear.
Nutrition per serving (4 ounces each): Calories: 240; Fat: 6 g; Carbohydrates: 15 g;
Protein 29 g.
Recipes from ‘Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies’; Davidson, Fouts, and Meyers; 2010.