Fresh fruit and cold popsicles to help hydrate and refresh you but keep you on track!
Balsamic Watermelon Chicken Salad
Makes 4 servings
1cup balsamic vinegar
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 teaspoons all purpose seasoning (I used a spice mix I got at a specialty food store)
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 cups baby spinach or greens
2 cups cubed watermelon
3 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
¼ cup sliced or crushed almonds
- Pour the balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the balsamic vinegar is significantly reduced and starting to become syrupy.
- Meanwhile, turn a grill or nonstick skillet to high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with the seasoning on both sides and drizzle with the olive oil. Transfer to the hot grill and cook until no longer pink on the inside and nicely browned on the outside. Let rest for 5 minutes; cut into small cubes.
- Layer the spinach with the chicken, watermelon, blue cheese, almonds, and drizzle with the balsamic reduction to taste. Top with additional olive oil if desired.
Nutrition per serving Calories 300; Fat 9g; Carbohydrates 18g; Protein 28g
Recipe from Barilife blog: http://www.barilife.com/blog/8-fresh-filling-salad-recipes-perfect-for-a-bariatric-diet adjusted from the website, Pinch of Yum: http://pinchofyum.com/balsamic-watermelon-chicken-salad#easyrecipe-18792-0
Protein Orange Creamsicles (featuring Premier Protein)
Makes 6-8 popsicles
11oz Premier Protein Vanilla Shake ready to drink carton
1-2 Orange drink sticks sugar-free
1/4tsp lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour in popsicle molds and freeze at least two hours.
- To extract, run mold under cool (not cold, not warm) water until the pop releases.
Nutrition per serving (1 popsicle): Calories 30; Fat 0.5g; Carbohydrate 1g; Protein 5g.
Recipe from Bariatricfoodie: https://www.bariatricfoodie.com/recipe/orange-creamsicle-protein-pops/print