Tasty summer recipes for yourself or to bring to gatherings!
Chicken and Cucumber Salad with Parsley Pesto
Makes 6 servings
½ cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (from 1 bunch)
½ cup fresh baby spinach
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ tablespoons toasted pine nuts
½ tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
½ medium garlic clove, smashed
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (from 1 chicken)
1 cup cooked shelled edamame
½ (15-ounce) can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ cup chopped English cucumber
2 cups loosely packed arugula
- Combine parsley, spinach, lemon juice, pine nuts, cheese, garlic, salt and pepper in bowl of a food processor; process until smooth, about 1 minute. With processor running, add oil; process until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Stir together chicken, edamame, chickpeas, and cucumber in a large bowl. Add pesto; toss to combine.
- Place 1/3 cup arugula in each of 6 bowls; top each with 1/2 cup chicken salad mixture. Serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 241; Fat 13g; Carbohydrate 11g; Protein 20g.
Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine. Dinner Tonight: 20-Minute Mains. Recipe by Robby Melvin. August 2018.
Makes 8 servings
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
1/8 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
1 ½ tablespoons sesame oil
½ tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
½ teaspoon black pepper
¾ pound tuna fillet, cut into 16 chunks
8 shishito peppers or mini bell peppers
4 cremini mushrooms, halved
1/2 medium eggplant, cut into 8 (1-inch) cubes
- Soak 8 (12 inch) wooden skewers in water 15 minutes.
- Stir together 1/8 cup cilantro, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, sesame seeds and black pepper in a bowl. Reserve half of marinade. Add tuna to remaining marinade in bowl; toss to coat. Chill 15 minutes.
- Remove tuna from marinade. Place marinade in a saucepan; boil 2 minutes. Thread tuna, shishito peppers, mushrooms and eggplant onto skewers, beginning and ending with tuna.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high. Coat with cooking spray. Grill skewers until charred, 3 to 4 minutes, turning once. Brush with cooked marinade during the last minute of grilling. Place skewers on a plate. Top with reserved marinade and remaining 1/8 cup cilantro.
Nutrition per serving (1 skewer): Calories 182; Fat 6 g; Carbohydrates 9 g: Protein 23 g.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light Magazine. No Fuss Seafood Dinners. Article by Robin Bashinky and Jamie Vespa. August 2018.