Tasty summer recipes for yourself or to bring to gatherings!
Chicken and Cucumber Salad with Parsley Pesto
Makes 6 servings
½ cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (from 1 bunch)
½ cup fresh baby spinach
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ tablespoons toasted pine nuts
½ tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
½ medium garlic clove, smashed
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (from 1 chicken)
1 cup cooked shelled edamame
½ (15-ounce) can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ cup chopped English cucumber
2 cups loosely packed arugula
- Combine parsley, spinach, lemon juice, pine nuts, cheese, garlic, salt and pepper in bowl of a food processor; process until smooth, about 1 minute. With processor running, add oil; process until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Stir together chicken, edamame, chickpeas, and cucumber in a large bowl. Add pesto; toss to combine.
- Place 1/3 cup arugula in each of 6 bowls; top each with 1/2 cup chicken salad mixture. Serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 241; Fat 13g; Carbohydrate 11g; Protein 20g.
Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine. Dinner Tonight: 20-Minute Mains. Recipe by Robby Melvin. August 2018.
Makes 8 servings
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
1/8 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
1 ½ tablespoons sesame oil
½ tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
½ teaspoon black pepper
¾ pound tuna fillet, cut into 16 chunks
8 shishito peppers or mini bell peppers
4 cremini mushrooms, halved
1/2 medium eggplant, cut into 8 (1-inch) cubes
- Soak 8 (12 inch) wooden skewers in water 15 minutes.
- Stir together 1/8 cup cilantro, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, sesame seeds and black pepper in a bowl. Reserve half of marinade. Add tuna to remaining marinade in bowl; toss to coat. Chill 15 minutes.
- Remove tuna from marinade. Place marinade in a saucepan; boil 2 minutes. Thread tuna, shishito peppers, mushrooms and eggplant onto skewers, beginning and ending with tuna.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high. Coat with cooking spray. Grill skewers until charred, 3 to 4 minutes, turning once. Brush with cooked marinade during the last minute of grilling. Place skewers on a plate. Top with reserved marinade and remaining 1/8 cup cilantro.
Nutrition per serving (1 skewer): Calories 182; Fat 6 g; Carbohydrates 9 g: Protein 23 g.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light Magazine. No Fuss Seafood Dinners. Article by Robin Bashinky and Jamie Vespa. August 2018.
Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.