These recipes are seasoned with some flavor enhancing herbs and spices to add a little flavor variety to everyday foods.
Smokin’ Paprika Chicken
Makes 6 servings
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 6oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except the chicken. Add the chicken and turn to coat.
- In a large non-stick pan, sauté the chicken over medium heat until cooked through, about 5-8 minutes, turning once.
Nutrition per serving (1/2 chicken breast): Calories 145; Fat 7g; Carbohydrates 1g: Protein 17g.
Recipe from: Nutrition Action Healthletter. May 2019. The Healthy Cook: Cook Once, Eat Twice. Kate Sherwood.
Lemongrass and Turmeric Tofu
Makes 4 servings
1 pack (18 oz) firm tofu
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon lemongrass, minced
1 tablespoon turmeric, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice flour
1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Removed tofu from package, set on top of a paper towel for 5 minutes to remove excess liquid then cut tofu into ¼ inch thick squares and put in a large bowl.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together in another bowl and pour this marinade over the tofu. Gently toss the marinade into the tofu.
- Allow to marinate in refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with cooking spray and place tofu in the pan on medium heat. Cook for 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve warm with your choice of vegetables and/or starch.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 111; Fat 5g; Carbohydrate 8g; Protein 10g.
Recipe from: Quynh Tu, RD, LDN, CDE
2 tsp dried basil
1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon firmly ground black pepper
1 egg white
2 cups whole natural almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In container of electric blender, combine all ingredients except egg white and almonds. Blend for 30 seconds pulsing on and off; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg white until opaque and frothy. Add almonds; toss to coat. Add spice mixture; toss gently to coat evenly.
- Oil, or coat a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray. Arrange almonds on baking sheet in single layer. Bake in center of over for 15 minutes. Gently toss almonds and arrange again in single layer. Continue to bake 15 minutes longer; toss gently. Turn off oven.
- Leave almonds in oven with door ajar for 15minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Store in airtight container up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 167; Fat 14g; Carbohydrates 6g: Protein 6g.
Recipe from: California Almonds website.
Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.