Slow-Cooked Yellow Pea Soup
Makes 6 servings
1⅓ cups yellow split peas, rinsed and sorted
2 cups chopped yellow onions
2 cups sliced carrots
1½ cups sliced parsnips
6⅓ cups (1,500 milliliters) water
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
1½ tablespoons dried marjoram
½ tablespoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4½ hours, stirring every hour, until peas are soft.
- Let cool slightly to allow soup to thicken before serving.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 198; Fat 1g; Carbohydrates 38g: Protein 11g.
Recipe from: https://foodandnutrition.org/from-the-magazine/slow-cooked-yellow-pea-soup/
Creamy One-Pot Garlicky Salmon and Asparagus
Makes 6 servings
6 pieces salmon approx. 3oz each
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon thyme
2 tablespoons oil
3 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoons margarine reduced fat
¾ cups fat-free half & half
½ cup chicken stock reduced fat
2 bunches asparagus ends trimmed
1½ cups baby Bella mushrooms sliced
Salt/pepper to taste
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, add 2 tablespoons of oil on med-high heat.
- Season salmon with Cajun seasoning, thyme, and salt/pepper to taste and place in pan. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until desired doneness is reached. Remove salmon from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low and add margarine, garlic, mushrooms, half & half, and chicken stock to the same pan.
- Stir until the sauce starts to simmer.
- Add asparagus and cover with a lid. Cook for about 10 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Season with salt/pepper to taste.
- Remove lid and add salmon back to the skillet. Spoon sauce over salmon and serve. Enjoy!
Nutrition per serving Calories 175; Fat 7g; Carbohydrate 7g; Protein 17g.
Recipe adapted from: https://www.beautifuleatsandthings.com/2019/09/09/creamy-one-pot-garlicky-salmon-asparagus/.
Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.